DIOCESE OF SAN FRANCISCO AND WESTERN AMERICA: August 27, 2011
Feast Day Celebrated at St Tikhon of Zadonsk Church at the Headquarters of the Western American Diocese
On Friday, August 26, 2011, the Apodosis of the Transfiguration of the Lord and the feast day of St Tikhon of Zadonsk, His Eminence Archbishop Kyrill of San Francisco and Western America celebrated Divine Liturgy at St Tikhon of Zadonsk Church at the headquarters of the Diocesan Administration of Western America, founded by St John of Shanghai and San Francisco.
In 1951, St John transferred an orphanage out of Shanghai to San Francisco, into a large house, with a chapel established in one of its rooms. Over time, all of the orphans grew up and left the orphanage, which has since ceased to exist. In 1962, when St John died, this building became the residence of the ruling bishop of the diocese. The saint’s cell is located here, which has become a pilgrimage site for Orthodox Christians, along with the Cathedral of the Mother of God “Joy of All Who Sorrow.” St Tikhon of Zadonsk house chapel is where St John celebrated Divine Liturgy, where the vestments of the miracle-worker are found, as well as the the sacramental utensils with which he served. After the repose of Archbishop Anthony (Medvedev, +2000), the second floor of the former orphanage became the headquarters of the Diocese of San Francisco and Western America of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, along with its library.
During the minor entrance at Divine Liturgy, Vladyka Kyrill, in accordance with a decision of the Synod of Bishops, elevated Hieromonk Irinei (Steenberg), the Director of St John of San Francisco Orthodox Academy, to the rank of Archimandrite. A trapeza was offered after the divine services.