Day of St. Panteleimon in the Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church
Outside of Russia
Seventy-five miles from
New York City is the town of Kittatinny, PA, located in the steep,
thickly-wooded mountains, which won't be found on every map. Within
these hills is the "Indian Trail," along which tribes
escaped the encroaching alien European civilization. At the foot
of the hills is small, beautiful Lake Kittatinny, ensconced in green.
Fifty years ago there were not more than twenty homes here along
the lakeside. Drawn by the beauty of the lake and the virgin forest
surrounding it, Russians appeared here some 40 years ago, with the
idea of building a chapel to service the spiritual needs of Russian
vacationers. This idea was supported by the entire local Orthodox
population. According to the plans drawn up by M.S. Ryl and approved
by the faithful, a site was prepared in the summer of 1961. In the
middle of the settlement, on a cliff, a foundation was consecrated
in 1962, and the following year, a cozy chapel went up on the land
donated by M.S. Ryl and two other locals, adorned with a cross on
a golden cupola. The Orthodox temple was joyfully accepted by the
local authorities and the Americans living in Kittatinny. They saw
how earnestly and with what love these Russians, spending hours
and hours of their vacation time, labored over the creation of the
church, and they say that it is the "adornment and pride of
Kittatinny." On June 29, 1963, the chapel was consecrated in
honor of Great Martyr Panteleimon. The rite of consecration was
performed by Mitred Protopriest Mitrofan Znosko-Borovsky (later
Bishop of Boston). This year, the solemn services on the feast day
of the chapel were performed by Protopriest Andrei Semyanko. At
the end of liturgy, a luncheon was offered.
The Parish of St. Panteleimon
in Hartford, CT, was established in September 1958 by a small group
of Russian Orthodox Christians led by Protopriest Nikolai Vasiliev.
Its present rector is Priest Dionisii Nalitov, awarded by Bishop
Gabriel of Manhattan with the kamilavka during the festal liturgy
By the blessing of His
Eminence Archbishop Hilarion of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand,
a parish community was established in Gosford, some two hours from
Sydney, in honor of Great Martyr and Healer Panteleimon. The parishioners
constructed a temporary iconostasis, and church items were donated.
Youth from Protection Church in Cabramatta helped in the construction.
The rector is Priest James Carles, ordained by Archbishop Hilarion
In the populous Protection
Church in Cabramatta, established in 1953, the memory of St Panteleimon
is piously celebrated, whose icon is kept in a large frame on the
left side of the church. This year, as always, a lesser blessing
of the water is performed along with a moleben and a procession
of the cross, and on the eve, all-night vigil according to the typikon.
Priest Boris Ignatievsky has now been heading the parish for three
years. Last year, the parish celebrated its 50th anniversary with
services officiated by His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus.