75th Anniversary of the Oldest Parish of the Conciliar Russian
Church in New York
The Parish of the Holy Fathers of the Russian Orthodox Church
Outside of Russia was founded on 12 February 1928 by Archbishop
Apollinarii (Koshev) of blessed memory. Preserving his loyalty
to the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, the parish
was the first founded after the departure of Metropolitan
Platon from the conciliar Church Abroad. During the first
years the parish was located between 128th and 129th Streets
and Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. At the end of the 1930's,
the church moved to 153rd Street, on the West Side. Over
the years, the parish grew and became a spiritual port for
hundreds of Russian emigres who left Europe and the Far
East and settle in New York.Thanks to the efforts of the
Rector of many years, Protopriest Alexander Krasnoumov,
funds were collected for the erection of a real church.
This was complete in 1962, when under the direction of Protopriest
Sergei Kargai and the Parish Warden, Michael B. Goncharov,
land was purchased the a real stone on 153rd Street but
a block away. Also, a parish house was acquired and a parish
school set up for Russian children. Although Holy Fathers
Parish is not a large one, it remains a spiritual oasis
for all Orthodox Christians. Our parish posses the first
copy of the Miracle-working Pochaev Icon of the Mother of
God, brought from Kiev. Holy Fathers Parish remains true
to the teachings of the Orthodox Church and the edicts of
the Seven Ecumenical Councils, preserving all the traditions
of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
It is with great joy that we announce the celebration of
the 75th anniversary of our parish. Holy Fathers Parish
has commissioned an icon for the Holy Fathers, and a service
to the Holy Fathers of the Seven Ecumenical Councils. His
Eminence Metropolitan Laurus will head the services on 15
and 16 November 2003. We also expect the arrival of Archbishop
Hilarion and Bishop Gabriel.
Saturday, 15 November:
5 pm: Commemorative service (pannikhida) for the founders
of Holy Fathers Parish.
6 pm: All-night vigil to the Holy Fathers of the Seven Ecumenical
Councils, and the presentation of the new Parish icon.
Sunday, 16 November:
8:30 am: Confession
9:30 am: the greeting of His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus.
Divine liturgy, procession of the cross and a service of
After service, a festive trapeza in a nearby hall.
Dear Beloved in Christ! We ask you to participate in our
joyous, historic celebration. Since the number of seats
available for the trapeza is limited, we ask that you register
beforehand by telephone at (212) 281-3992.
For further information, contact:
Priest Alexander Botschagow at (845) 621-5043
Subdeacon Lazar: (201) 967-7465
Subdeacon Victor: (201) 265-1226